Living with depression is very difficult, but therapy can help you improve the quality of life.
You can successfully get over depression by the use of one treatment method or a combination of treatment methods.
Medical treatments and lifestyle therapies, including the following:
For treatment with drugs, either of these following can be of help:
- Antidepressants and
- Antipsychotic Medications
Most times, depression does not respond to these medications; therefore you can employ other treatments like electroconvulsive therapy or repetitive transcranial magnetic stimulation.
In severe depression cases, you can speak with a therapist- he/she can help you learn new ways to deal with your state of mind. You can also talk to family and friends you trust or visit group therapy sessions.
It would be best if you tried to get 30 minutes of physical activity five days a week. Exercise is essential because it helps you produce more endorphins, which can improve your mood.
Avoid Alcohol and Hard Drugs
Since alcohol intake, as well as drug abuse and misuse, can cause depression, then it is necessary you stay away from all these activities.
Improve Your Health Habits
Improve your eating and sleeping habits, avoid negative people, and participate in exciting activities. Taking care of yourself and emotions this way will help lessen the risks of depression and its symptoms.
Natural Treatment For Depression
Treating depression traditionally will include the use of prescribed medication and counseling. But there are other complementary treatments you can try. The additional therapy here is the use of natural treatment.
Several types of supplements have some positive effects on depression symptoms and such supplements includes:
- S-adenosyl-L-Methionine (SAMe).
- 5-hydroxytryptophan (5-HTP)
5-HTP Which can be used as an antidepressant does its job by raising serotonin levels in the brain, and this alone can ease the symptoms of depression.
- Omega-3 Fatty Acids
These vital fats are useful for brain health and neurological development. Including omega-3 supplement to your diet will help fight depression symptoms.
Essential oils are a popular natural remedy for many conditions, depression inclusive. People with depression will find relieve by using the following essential oils:
- Wild Ginger: This essential oil has a strong scent and should be inhaled. When this oil scent is inhaled, it activates the serotonin receptor in the brain, and this may slow down the release of stress-inducing hormones.
- Bergamot: This essential oil has always been used to reduce anxiety in patients awaiting surgery. This may also be beneficial to individuals who feel anxious as a result of depression.
Other oils, such as rose oil and chamomile, will also have a calming effect when inhaled.
Vitamins are essential or overall body functions. Research has proven two vitamins to be beneficial to depressed persons. The vitamins are:
- Vitamin B: B-6 and B-12 are imperative to brain development and health. Lower levels of vitamin B will increase your risk of depression. Therefore it is essential to take these vitamins.
- Vitamin D: This vitamin is otherwise known as the sunshine vitamin. This vitamin is essential for the brain, heart, and bone health. Depressed persons most likely lack this vitamin and should consider taking it.
Your health is our concern, you need to fight depression, and this article has provided a list of herbs, medications, vitamins, and supplements that will help you ease symptoms of depression.